Ever wonder where the Cafecito Caliente storefront is so you can run out and buy some pan dulce? Although I would love to own a coffee shop that served pan dulce and Cafecito, we aren’t there yet and we are not a store or bakery. Why Cafecito Caliente? If you have ever watched the movie My Family/Mi Familia, at the end of the movie, the couple, Jose and Maria, whose family the movie documents, sits at the table with un Cafecito caliente (a hot cup of coffee). Jose reflects and lovingly tells her, “Maria, we have had a good life”. Maria mentions “that it would have been better if” but Jose urges her to not say that and tells her “God has been good to us. Our life, has been very, very good to us”. Maria finally agrees with him as both sit and enjoy their afternoon ritual of their favorite Cafecito.
This probably best reflects what Cafecito Caliente is about. Just a website that tries to highlight the best that Mid Michigan offers in the Latino community. We also made the decision in 2010 to begin creating programs and events that we felt were much needed to keep the culture alive whether it be by creating family friendly events or developing programs that brings resources to our community. It started with a list of 40 ideas in 2007. This list only has ten ideas so we have many more to put together. Here is what we are up as of October 2019:
- Providing support to the Latino Advisory Committee which is partners with the Lansing School District.
- Leading the research for a potential Latino Business Association in 2020.
- Cafecito Networking Night will return on Monday, October 18, 2019 and Monday, March 10, 2020.
- Networking nights are held in March, May, August and October.
- Cinco de Mayo 5K Run/Walk Saturday, May 2, 2020.
- 8th Annual Latino Day with the Lugnuts Sunday, August 16, 2020.
- Latino Business Expo in September 2020. Details to be announced.
- Cafecito Caliente Discount Card. Offering discounts to several of the areas best Mexican and Cuban restaurants. Available September 3. 2020.
- Cafecito Caliente 5K Run/Walk to be held Saturday, September 12, 2020.
- Create the Greater Lansing Latino Leadership Institute. Tentatively starting February, 2021.