Ever wonder where the Cafecito Caliente storefront is so you can run out and buy some pan dulce? Although I would love to own a coffee shop that served pan dulce and Cafecito, we aren’t there yet and we are not a store or bakery. Why Cafecito Caliente? If you have ever watched the movie My Family/Mi Familia, at the end of the movie, the couple, Jose and Maria, whose family the movie documents, sits at the table with un Cafecito caliente (a hot cup of coffee). Jose reflects and lovingly tells her, “Maria, we have had a good life”. Maria mentions “that it would have been better if” but Jose urges her to not say that and tells her “God has been good to us. Our life, has been very, very good to us”. Maria finally agrees with him as both sit and enjoy their afternoon ritual of their favorite Cafecito.
This probably best reflects what Cafecito Caliente is about. Just a website that tries to highlight the best that Mid Michigan offers in the Latino community. We also made the decision in 2010 to begin creating programs and events that we felt were much needed to keep the culture alive whether it be by creating family friendly events or developing programs that brings resources to our community. It started with a list of 40 ideas in 2007. This list only has nine ideas (with three more we are working on for 2021) so we have a lot of work to do. Here is what we are up as of January 2020:
- Cafecito Networking Night will return on Tuesday, October, 5, 2022.
- Networking nights are held in March, May, August and October.
- Frida 5k Run/Walk March/April 2022.
- 2nd Annual Cinco de Mayo 5k Run/Walk May 7, 2022 Lansing, Michigan
- Cafecito Caliente Discount Card. Offering discounts to several of the areas best Mexican and Cuban restaurants. Available August,
- Loteria 5k Run/Walk Sunday, August 21, 2022.
- 9th Annual Latino Night with the Lugnuts Sunday, August 21, 2022.
- Latino Business Expo September 2022.