5 things about me you never knew:
1. As an 8 year old little league baseball player, I couldn’t hit the ball. Hard to see the ball when your eyes are closed. My Dad, realizing my talent was not on the field, told me if I could make the other players around me better by cheering them on and being a “coach” on the field and bench, it would help the team. This led to my thought process to always try to make those around me better. Better people, better workers, better at handling life.
2. While in 5th grade, I ordered a book called “How to Prepare For the High School Exam” through the Scholastic Book Club at school. It mentioned about staying up all night to study for exams and would read it each year. In 9th grade I decided to practice so i went to school at Gardner with no sleep and made it to 3:00pm and fell asleep at my desk before the bell. Took a few months but every couple weeks I would try this and became pretty good at staying awake. This led to twice a week I would stay awake for 40 hours straight, sleep 10 hours twice a week. I found out you could work, read and have a little fun with that sleep cycle. I wouldn’t recommend it lol.
3. I once started a Church Youth Program based on the movie “The Breakfast Club”.
4. In the late 1990’s, there was a national magazine called Hispanic Magazine and they gave me the controls to part of their website. It was an online forum in which I played moderator for about 18 months. It was bought out by Televisa Publishing and the website was pulled from me without warning. It merged with Poder Magazine and I was no longer needed. No complaints as it was a great experience.
5. When I was 15 I wanted to be a Priest. You know the story. Met a girl, and said no thanks to the Priesthood. Almost went to Bible School and ended up giving some of my tuition monies to the two who went. Still, I fell in love with leading Bible groups many years ago. Why? Because it involved the Bible, telling a story and connecting it to life. Those that know me well, know, I can have a calming effect and can offer bits of wisdom. I might not be good with a baseball bat, but I am pretty good with words 🙂
God Bless and thanks for reading a little into my life – off my soapbox.